One of the most used cake bases for wedding and novelty cake makers because of its buttery firm and light texture to build large cakes. Also preferred by mums to please choosy kids. Butter cakes are easy to carve for shaped cakes and also soaks up syrups nicely.
The weights in the recipe table below will yield the following 'weight per unit' and 'number of units'. If you would like to change the recipe to cater to a different 'weight per unit' and/or 'number of units', you can use the Recipe Calculator Tool below the ingredients table.
|1||MEASURE||Weigh all the ingredients.||Double check.|
|2||PREHEAT||Preheat oven.||180C / 356F|
|3||WHIP||Whip the butter, sugar and salt for over 5 minutes.||Light and creamy.|
|4||ADD||Add the eggs in 3 - 4 parts.||Light and creamy.|
|5||ADD||Add the flavors.|
|6||ADD||Add the flour and starch and set the mixer to a slower speed.||Everything is incorporated.|
|7||ADD||Add the milk and oil and slowly speed up the mixer.|
|8||MIX||Mix for 1 minute.|
|9||BAKE||Bake for 30 minutes in preheated oven (180C)|
- Fresh lemon paste is the most essential ingredient in this recipe. Take a few fresh lemons and wash them first. Then simmer them in water for 1 hour. After they have cooled down, cut them in half and remove the seeds (some lemons may be seedless you can skip this part). Blend the whole lot in to a creamy paste using a food processor. This lemon paste is better than anything you can buy from a store and you can also do this with oranges. If you want to make a large amount and store it, you can also blend up to an equal amount (of the total weight of lemons or oranges) sugar, with the lemons or oranges.
- If all ingredients are in room temperature the batter will hold the air much easier and be much more creamy before it goes in the oven.
- When you are adding eggs to the mixture in parts, make sure each part is fully incorporated and mixed into the mixture before adding the next part of eggs.
- Some mixers do not scrape all the way to the bottom of the bowl so in that case, stop the machine and use a wooden handle silicon scraper to rich the bottom of the mixing bowl. Repeat this between the additions of eggs and butter to ensure it is all being mixed well.
- For baking, use silicon molds or just paper lined cake rings will do. Not every oven is the same so check the center with a wooden skewer. Poke the skewer into the center of the cake and if it is clean when you remove it, then the cake is backed
- Sandwich the layers with butter cream or jam and mask the outside with butter cream or ganache if you prefer.
- Vanilla essence is not the same as vanilla extract. Vanilla extract is thicker, more expensive and stronger in flavour. Vanilla extract can also be used in this recipe but please note that the amount should be less because it is stronger.