Downloadable Course Material
If you would like to approximately match the size of the artwork in the tutorial, print the downloadable files at 100% size. If you require your artwork to be smaller or larger, just adjust the print size accordingly.
Templates for Sugar Fairytale Castle Topper
This PDF contains a top view and a side view of the castle for reference, as well as templates for all the parts of the castle. Templates (page 3) should be cut out and used as a guide to cut the pastillage.
While not everything on this list is absolutely required, these are the things used in this tutorial video. Of course you are welcome to find alternative ways of doing things and we would love to hear if you’ve discovered an easier method or better tool to achieve good results.
What you will need
- Small rolling pin
- Textured rolling pin (lines)
- Starch (for dusting)
- Oil spray
- Plastic knife
- Set of knives
- Pen knife
- Dry & wet towels
- Small brush in a cup of egg white
- Turn table
- Level scale
- Flat head screw driver (4mm or 5mm)
- Patty pan liners
- Aluminium foil
- Cellophane sheets
Recipes & Ingredients
- Top & front view drawings of cake for guidance
- Images of finished castle topper
- Pre-cut stencils of castle walls
- All references can be downloaded below
- Have a wet and dry hand towels to clean knives, blades and cutters regularly to consistently achieve clean cuts. This will ensure clean smooth edges of the pastillage. Also be sure to clean the table with your wet towel, and than the dry towel each time you are about to roll out any fondant. Use a bit of shortening or vegetable fat to prevent the pastillage from sticking to the table.
- This is art, and no method or technique is set in stone. This is why we recommend you watch the entire tutorial first before you start gathering all the things in the list above. You may think of ways you might substitute tools or techniques with your own ideas.
- If you haven’t worked with pastillage before, please read our article on how to handle and work with pastillage.
Sugar Horses & Carriage Centerpiece.">